I’m currently an online learning experience designer in higher education, which requires instructional design expertise, software and andragogy training for instructors, and relationship building/maintenance for collaborative projects. After designing the course map or learning outcomes and aligned assessment, we can discuss edtech, OER, and/or multimedia assets and solutions that would enhance the student learning experience. There are many moving parts and stakeholders in this process, which requires exceptional organizational skills and a commitment to life-long learning. To help me stay current I rely on professional learning networks such as Pedago.me for learning experience design (LXD), alumni from my master’s degree in Learning Design and Technology program, and my fellow designers at my organization.
I’ve worked in collaboration to help create the following Mines online programs, which entail four or more online courses.
- – FEA Professional (Finite Element Analysis) Certificate (Lead)
- – Space Resources Certificate, Masters and PhD (Support)
- – Computer Science Professional Certificate (Lead)
- – Cybersecurity for Cyber Physical Systems Certificate (Lead)
- – Data Science: Earth Resources Certificate (Lead)
- – Data Science: Computer Science Certificate (Lead)
– Data Science: Petroleum Data Analytics (Lead)
As an advising board member of the Education Media Design + Technology master’s program, I provided critical feedback on the curriculum and presented a day-in-the-life of an instructional designer in higher education. Here are the slides from my presentation.
I’ve designed, developed, and facilitated online and hybrid learning experiences:
- – Engineering Online Learning course at Colorado School of Mines
- – Instructional Design and Planning course at University of Colorado Denver
- – Sales and Technical training at Viaero Wireless
I subscribe to Dr. Dweck‘s research that abilities can be improved upon and acquired through effort and study. This term is called growth mindset. As a learning designer, I must always employ a growth mindset in order to learn a new software or edtech tool integration. This mindset drives me to learn more and also strengthens tendencies, which include the following:
- – embrace challenges
- – persist in the face of obstacles
- – see effort as a path to mastery
- – learn from feedback and criticism
- – find inspiration in others’ success